Accesskey 1: Jump to homepage |
Accesskey 4:Jump to search |
Accesskey S :Jump to content |
Accesskey 2 :Jump to Members |
Accesskey 0: Accessibility information |
Accesskey 3: Jump to news |
Accesskey 5:Jump to events |
Information for associations interested in joining WCAA
- We welcome your interest in becoming a member of this growing organization and helping us create an institutional center of mutual support, intellectual exchange and global understanding. Our objective is networking and communication among anthropologists worldwide, thus it is important that as many anthropological associations as possible join us in this endeavour.
- Membership in the WCAA is open to national and international associations only, not to individuals. Currently about 30 national associations from every continent are represented. Each association nominates one delegate (usually the president or another member of the executive) to represent them on the WCAA. An alternative contact person should also be nominated.
- Delegates meet regularly at most major conferences and in this way we have built an international community. We also have a full business meeting and election every two years, the next in 2012. Usually delegates are provided with funding for travel and expenses if they have no funding available themselves, with first priority given to delegates from developing countries.
- Membership is free of charge and delivers significant benefits to delegates, as well as to ordinary members of their associations. These benefits are based on a reciprocal agreement, as outlined in the constitution of the WCAA.
- We require a letter of application from the current president of your association, simply asking for admission and agreeing to abide by the terms of the WCAA network as set out in the WCAA constitution. The letter should be addressed to Michal Buchowski, the current chair of the WCAA, but sent by email to Andrew 'Mugsy' Spiegel (mugsy.spiegel(at)uct.ac.za) for processing. We also ask for a copy of your constitution, code of ethics (if any), and a brief statement (1-2 pages) about the history, mission, main activities, size and membership rules of the association.
- Each application is subject to a vote of admission by all the current members of the WCAA. We try to act on your application as soon as possible although the process can take up to six weeks.
- If you have any other questions, please contact Andrew 'Mugsy' Spiegel via mugsy.spiegel(at)uct.ac.za or South African telephone number +27 21 650 3679.
- Andrew 'Mugsy' Spiegel
Organizing Committee of the WCAA
Past President of Anthropology Southern Africa (ASnA)
Professor of Social Anthropology
University of Cape Town